Northrop Grumman Engineer Liaison (NSROC Launchers- Space) in Wallops Island, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
NASA's Sounding Rocket Operations Contract (NSROC) is a sub-orbital space flight program located at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility (WFF), a part of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC). NSROC provides suborbital launch vehicles, payload development and field operations support to NASA's Science Mission Directorate. The program enables the collection of Earth, Heliophysics and Astrophysics science.
The Engineer Liaison works within the t (NSROC) Launcher Systems group with hands-on leadership in the following functions: Identify efficiencies, streamline work processes and functions, forecast work functions and prepare for in advanced, Perform operation, preventive and corrective maintenance, troubleshooting, testing, onboard maintenance training, assessment, inspection, calibration, alignment, removal/installation, overhaul, repair, restoration/refurbishment, modernization, and/or upgrade of fixed and mobile NASA Sounding Rocket Launch systems at the NASA Wallops Flight Facility and other sites located worldwide.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides technical support for operations and technology development of Launcher Equipment performed under the NSROC program.
Able to be self-directing and lead operations in the field for launcher maintenance and testing.
Maintains ground support equipment used in space launch operations - including lifting, proof loading, and operating mechanical, pneumatic, and hydraulic components, umbilical's, and launch accessories.
Charged with preparing, maintaining, and operating mobile LN2 Generation Plant for remote launch campaigns and Chemical Glovebox GSE.
Logs and Reports field activities to management.
Supports design and implementation of facility upgrades and supporting system modifications to enhance capabilities.
• Job Duties will require travel 35% of the year up to 50%. Must be able to get a US Passport.
• Ability to use MS Office products for word processing, editing spreadsheets, and accessing databases.
• Must be mechanically inclined and proficient with all types of hand tools
• Ability to work with a team or independently
• Ability to gather, verify and arranges data from multiple sources
• Ability to read, understand and follow detailed schematics, drawings and instructions
• Over-head crane, forklift, and man-lift proficient
• General physical fitness is required for some work areas.
• Ability to lift heavy objects is required in this position (>45 lbs.)
• Ability to work at elevated heights
• Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments heat, cold, rain
• Minimum of eight years technical experience with mechanical systems in an operational and/or test environment.
• Experience working with large and/or distributed mechanical systems, complex mechanisms, and motion control systems is highly preferred.
• Experience writing detailed operational procedures incorporating technical, quality, and safety elements is required.
• Familiarity with NASA Wallops launch ground support equipment, processes, procedures, and documentation is preferred. Familiarity with NASA lifting standards is desirable.
• Required skills may include pneumatic/hydraulic system fabrication, orbital welding, structural welding, machinist skills, familiarity with calibrated measuring instruments, steel fabrication skills, layout work.
Preferred experience in operating, maintaining, troubleshooting, and performing electronic, electrical and mechanical assessments, alignments and fault corrections and inspections.
Experience with Commercial HVAC, Industrial Controls and High Voltage Circuits.
Experience writing detailed operational procedures incorporating technical, quality, and safety elements is required.
Familiarity with NASA Wallops launch ground support equipment, processes, procedures, and documentation is preferred. Familiarity with NASA lifting standards is desirable.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Technical Support