Northrop Grumman Principal / Sr. Principal Engineer Systems in Rolling Meadows, Illinois
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products Include
launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Our Systems Engineering Integration & Test (SEIT) organization provides complex subsystems and defense electronics. This position can be hired as either a Principal Systems Engineer or Sr. Principal Systems Engineer, depending on qualifications and years of experience.
This position is located at our Rolling Meadows, IL location.
Opportunities are available in three disciplines in SEIT:
Systems Design: Tasking can include creating and refining Model Based System Engineering products (System behavioral models, Use Case realizations, State Machines, etc.), generation and update of System and sub-system level specifications in DOORS, including requirements traceability, creation of Verification Cross Reference Matrices (VCRM), verification traceability (tracing requirements to test plans/procedures/results), and update and maintenance of system drawings and documents. As a part of the SEIT team, a Systems Design engineer is exposed to the front end Systems Engineering process and coordinates across many disciplines to ensure that the system description and requirements are properly and thoroughly defined and captured.
Modeling & Simulation: Assignments include analysis and trades of product line architectures using analytical models and mission level simulations. A primary task for a modeling and simulations engineer is software development of in-house models and algorithms. Strong domain knowledge combined with valuable software development skills are required to produce the accurate models that drive the critical analysis needed to design our future systems. As a member of the SEIT team, a Modeling and Simulations engineer gains a deep understanding of how our systems architecture design process meets our mission level goals.
Integration & Test: Efforts may include generation of test plans, test procedures, test automation, test reports, and execution of integration test activities in System Integration Labs (SILs) or offsite locations. As a part of the SEIT team, an Integration & Test engineer gains an understanding of the Systems Engineering process across a product's lifecycle and gains a full appreciation for how the systems operate.
During the interview process, our team will seek to understand both your experience and preferences in order to determine which area provides the best opportunity for you to succeed. These groups and engineering roles with SEIT provide a great opportunity to work alongside a variety of other Systems, Hardware, Software and Mechanical engineers to successfully execute on mission-critical programs.
• For Principal Systems Engineer, BS degree in aerospace engineering, systems engineering, or related technical degree with 5+ years (or MS and 3+ years, or PhD and 0 years) related experience
• For Sr. Principal Systems Engineer, BS degree in aerospace engineering, systems engineering, or related technical degree with 9+ years (or MS and 7+ years, or PhD and 4+ years) related experience
• Demonstrated proficiency in analytical thinking and problem solving skills and Systems Thinking mindset
• Excellent decision making and communication (written and oral) skills
• Strong work ethic and the ability to work in an integrated product team (IPT) environment
• Active or Current Top Secret Clearance is required to be considered.
• Must have ability to obtain SCI level accesses
• Working knowledge of one of more of the following specialty areas related to EOIR/RF systems: sensors/antennas, transmitters/receivers, optics
• Experience in development and earned value management of cost accounts and schedules as related to Systems Engineering tasks
• Experience with real-time signal processing in both firmware and software
• Agile development experience a plus
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Active Top Secret Clearance with SCI & polygraph is preferred
For Systems Design:
• Experience with Model Based Engineering (MBE)
• Working knowledge of DOORS and ClearCase/ClearQuest
• Recent experience in requirements allocation & derivation and verification traceability
For Modeling & Simulation:
• Knowledge of MATLAB, C, C++, CUDA, VHDL, OpenCL, SysML, Python, or other scripting languages
• Working knowledge of the space domain (e.g., orbital mechanics, remote sensing, atmospheric effects, etc.)
For Integration & Test:
• Knowledge of MATLAB, Python, or other scripting languages
• Working knowledge of DOORS and ClearCase/ClearQuest
• Recent experience creating integration and test, design verification test and flight test plans and procedures
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering