At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems has an opening for a Principal Human Factors Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals within our Systems Engineering organization. This role is located in Redondo Beach, CA.
The Human Systems Integration team is seeking a Human Factors Engineer (HFE) to join Northrop Grumman. In this position, the new team member will be part of the team ensuring remotely operated and semi-autonomous aircraft hardware and software systems are operable by US military flight and maintenance crews. This position requires a strong background in Systems Engineering. Job responsibilities include requirements development; trade studies and analyses, design documentation; software interface design/development support; Human Factors analyses and collaboration to facilitate equipment selection, design and arrangement; user and working group collaboration; compliance with specified sections of Military Standards; collaboration across IPTs; and coordination with the customer and user communities.
• Support the evaluation of requirements adhering to Human Factors best practices and specified sections of MIL-STD-1472H.
• Contributions to Human Factors Analyses (including but not limited to: Task Analyses and Predictive Workload Analyses, Usability studies, Workload, and Situational Awareness surveys).
• Conduct computer based (NX) and empirical accessibility assessments from both an operator and maintainer perspective.
• Author/support the program documentation of the HFE processes and products in a format consistent with US Military Data Item Descriptions (e.g. Human Engineering Program Plan, Human Engineering Design Approach Document - Operator, Human Engineering Design Approach Document - Maintainer, Human Engineering Test Plan, Human Engineering Test Report, etc.).
• Architecture, CONOPS, and use case development using model-based systems engineering methodologies
• Collaboration with Design Integrated Product Teams (IPTs) to ensure evolving design addresses program needs and adheres to Human Interface design requirements
• Support Airworthiness analysis, artifact development and compliance summaries.
• Support / Lead Highly Immersive Virtual Environment (HIVE) motion-capture human modeling analyses.
We offer flexible work arrangements, 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off, phenomenal learning opportunities, exposure to a wide variety of projects and customers, and a very friendly team environment. We are looking for self-motivated, proactive, and goal-oriented people to help us grow our services and become even better at what we do.
• A Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM discipline with 5 years of related professional/military experience in Human Factors Engineering, or Masters degree in a STEM discipline with 3 years of related professional/military experience in Human Factors Engineering, or a PhD in a STEM discipline.
• Experience designing and conducting Human Factors studies and analyses
• Must have an active DoD Secret (or higher) clearance with a background investigation within the past 6 years or currently enrolled into Continuous Evaluation
• Must have the ability to obtain and maintain Special Access Program (SAP) clearance.
• Active, In-Scope TOP SECRET DoD security clearance with the ability to obtain Program Access
• Specific Human Factors experience with Usability, Workload, and Situational Awareness and resulting analyses
• Experience interpreting, applying and tailoring MIL-STD-472H and MIL-STD-46855A
• Proficiency in writing and executing demonstration & test procedures
• The ability to clearly and accurately express engineering findings orally and in written technical reports and presentations.
• Experience with control and handoff of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)
• Familiar with the interpretation and application of systems safety, personnel survivability, and manpower habitability requirements to system design
• Experience with CAD Tools (NX and NX Jack Expertise preferred)
• Experience using IMPRINT or Cameo Simulink for modeling Workload and performing analysis
• Experience with system engineering processes and tools (MBSE and Cameo Enterprise Architecture preferred)
• Experience preparing Human Engineering Design Approach documents (HEDAD-O and M)
• Understand systems and design thinking as well as HMI/HCI design principles and practices
• Experience authoring Human Engineering CDRLs in accordance with DoD Data Item Descriptions (e.g. HEDAD-M/O, HEPP, HSIPP, HETP/R, etc)
• Experience interpreting, applying, and/or tailoring MIL-STD-411 and MIL-STD-1787, in support of aircraft design activity
• Masters or PhD in Human Factors
Salary Range: $104,600 - $157,000
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top priority . The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042 https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/contractors/ .
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Apply Now Search All Jobs