Northrop Grumman NRE Operator in Radford, Virginia
This position is the entry level production position across New River Energetics (NRE), once an employee has completed new hire training. Operators take direction from leaders and supervisors in order to safely produce quality products following work procedures and operating a variety of machinery.
• Follow all safety, environmental, and production rules and procedures.
• Stop operations and notify Supervision of any abnormal conditions, including any potential safety hazards or unsafe conditions.
• Perform job so that product quality is assured.
• Inspect operating equipment on a daily basis.
• Call Maintenance for equipment repairs, or report to Leader or Supervisor.
• Detect and inform Leader or Supervisor of any problems with equipment or materials.
• Support NRE's Performance Enterprise System (PES) initiatives.
• Perform all activities outlines in operating procedures for assigned work area.
• Set up and operate various types of production machinery.
• Maintain work are and equipment in a clean and orderly condition.
• Maintain production and operation records, including online record keeping and product identification tools.
Physical requirements to perform essential functions
• Lift of to 50 pounds repetitively
• Push carts weighing up to 1,000 pounds
• Bend and stoop repetitively
• Stand, walk, and climb steps repetitively
• Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle
• Must be able to work in all weather extremes
• Must be able to work overtime when needed, per the guidelines outlines in the College Bargaining Agreement
Key abilities required to perform essential functions
• Read and understand written and verbal procedures and work instructions
• Effective verbal communication skills
• Basic math skills
• Ability to function in a team environment
• Ability to carry out job assignment without direct supervision
• Ability to clearly write and record information
• Ability to access and accurately record time worked in electronic timekeeping system
• Ability to use a computer for production record keeping
• Ability to drive various vehicles including, but not limited to, powder van, passenger van, sedan, and pickup, as well as forklift as required by work assignment
• Commitment to operating safely, with environmental awareness, and with a focus on producing a quality product
The schedule will begin as a 7 day swing shift.
• High school diploma or GED preferred or proven work history
• Must possess a valid driver's license
• Must be a US citizen
• Must be able to obtain clearance from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms and Explosives as an Employee Possessor
• Must pass RFAAP badging requirements
This position falls under a Federal Explosives License issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) for this location. Candidates hired into this role will be required to complete and submit an Employee Questionnaire to ATK for approval to be a possessor.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Non-CJCS