Northrop Grumman Staff Engineer Electromechanic in Palmdale, California
Climb to new heights on your journey when you start Defining Possible with Northrop Grumman. Enjoy a purposeful career in aeronautics that is crucial to the way we connect and protect our world across land, sea, and air. Bring your experience and take advantage of this opportunity to discover how you can start to push past possible and achieve your goals today. Enjoy a diverse, collaborative environment with professionals across the nation ready to help launch your career.
The Specialty Test Team in Palmdale Ca. is looking for a qualified Senior-level Instrumentation Engineer to serve as a Loads Control/Data Acquisition/Instrumentation Subject Matter Expert (SME) to lead a team of instrumentation engineers. The selected candidate should thrive in a fast-paced work environment with elevated expectations, be result oriented and be capable of overseeing multiple unique Test Set-up and Test Execution. The STT performs all structural testing, both static and fatigue. Ranging from component level to full scale article on both R&D and flight hardware.
The ideal candidate will apply their electrical, mechanical, and computer skills while utilizing complex, state of the art, load control and data acquisition systems to control hundreds of load actuators while monitoring/recording data from thousands of instrumentation acquisition channels. Qualified individuals will collaborate with various disciplines and all levels of personnel throughout all phases of Structural Testing, IE: Test Planning, Hardware and Instrumentation design, procurement and or manufacturing, Test and network architecture set-up, Test Execution, Data Reduction and Test Report Preparation and presentation. Candidate must have Structural Test experience and an extensive understanding of the hardware and methodology employed during a large variety of different testing environments and scenarios. This is a very unique role that requires the candidate to possess expertise in both electrical and mechanical facets involved with all testing functions interchangeably. Candidate must have expert knowledge/experience with operation, concepts, and components comprised within data acquisition and load control hardware as well as related instrumentation such as: LVDTs, Strain Gages, String Pots, Load Cells, pressure transducers, etc.
The ideal candidate must be a motivated, driven individual with excellent communication skills, capable of working with minimal direction while employing strong analytical / troubleshooting skills. Candidate must be willing and able to lead and mentor less experienced engineers. Responsibilities for the role include, but are not limited to:
• Design, Setup, Program, Operate, and maintain LCS and DAS
• Plan and arrange for the equipment required for testing.
• Interpret and fulfill Test Requirements and author/publish Test Procedures, requirements documents, etc.
• Generate and lead Test Ready Reviews
Cost reduction analysis
• Optimizing fatigue testing cycle time
• Test anomaly investigation
• Customer briefings
• Participate in post-test data evaluation, problem identification, and resolutions.
• Skilled with Microsoft Office tools, Excel, Power Point, Visio, and Visual Basic
• Have an expert understanding of Wheatstone Bridge based sensors
• Ability to generate 2D drawings in AutoCAD
• Bachelors in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) plus 14 Years engineering experience; or Master's in STEM plus 12 Years engineering experience; or PhD plus 9 Year's engineering experience
• Must have at least 8 yrs. of Structural Test (Instrumentation) experience, 4 years in a verifiable Technical Lead position
• Expert experience with Full Scale Static or Fatigue testing
•This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret or Top
Secret Clearance as well as Program Special access within a reasonable period
of time, as determined by the company to meet its business needs.
• 15 years direct hands-on experience with test, measurement & control engineering applications
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills
• Expert experience/knowledge with structures testing, Load Control and Data Acquisition systems (Particularly experience with MOOG and Pacific systems)
• Extensive hydraulic/pneumatic control system, set up, commissioning and checkout experience.
• Experience in mechanical assembly & test, analog electronics, transducers, strain gage design & installation experience
• Secret or Top Secret clearance preferred, retaining position dependent upon acquiring and maintaining a SAP clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering