Northrop Grumman Systems Engineer/Principal Systems Engineer - TS SSBI Needed in Morrisville, North Carolina
The Space Systems Sector is seeking an experienced Systems Engineer or Principal Systems Engineer to join the AMMOLITE Ground Segment team. The ideal candidate must have the ability to understand, define, and develop ground system specifications, interfaces, processing platforms, and virtualized compute infrastructure requirements. The candidate will also be responsible for ground systems architecture by defining, adapting and deploying ground software applications and mission data management across virtualized and distributed infrastructure.
Candidates shall utilize sound engineering practices to develop, implement, and maintain end-to-end satellite ground systems. They shall also perform technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems. Analyses are performed at all levels of total system product to include: concept, design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal. Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints. Perform functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications as needed.
He or she may be responsible for developing and configuring ground software operation baselines - to include scripts, mission templates, command & command / mission management database baselines, and developing Space-Ground ICDs. In addition, responsibilities may include coordinating and conducting system engineering activities (e.g. SRR, SDR, PDR, CDR, etc.) and other ground segment support activities. System engineering product deliveries include: Interface Control Documents (ICDs), trade study reports (TSRs), simulation & analysis, and other supporting reportable documentation.
Responsibilities may include the following:
• Design, develop, build, and operate space program ground segment mission capabilities.
• Derive mission threads and use cases.
• Define system functions and trace to requirements.
• Perform ground segment requirements management and development for Mission Management and Mission Processing
• Facilitate subject matter experts, stakeholders, and customers throughout the process of developing architectural specifications.
• Present technical information to mission partners, customers, and internal stakeholders
• Develop program/mission specific ground specifications and ICDs
• Hold weekly / regular meetings with ground stakeholders
• Coordinate end-to-end testing during the Integration & Test (I&T) phase
• Support design Verification & Validation (V&V) activities
• Ground to Ground network communications design, implementation & testing
This requisition may be filled at a higher grade based on qualifications listed below.
This position may be performed at a Systems Engineer or Principal engineer level depending on the qualifications, skills, and experience of the candidate.
Systems Engineer - Bachelor's degree in STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or related area and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experiences OR a Master's degree; an additional 4 years of experience maybe considered in lieu of a degree requirement
Principal Systems Engineer- Bachelor's Degree in STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or related area and 5+ years of experience, Master's Degree and 3+ years of experience.
• Must be a US Citizen with an active or current Top Secret/SSBI and have the ability to obtain SCI level access.
• Experience with Ground Systems (space or satellite knowledge highly preferred)
• Experience developing architecture based on program requirements
• Familiarity with Agile Scrum practices and traditional waterfall projects
• Experience using software version control such as Git (GitLab or BitBucket)
• Experience using Atlassian tools (JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket)
• Knowledge of Linux systems and basic command line instructions
• Systems Engineering skills, including requirements definition/allocation, interface definition, verification & validation, and life-cycle management.
• Familiarity with Commercial Cloud Services (C2S) or Amazon Web Services (AWS)
• Certifications as a Certified AWS Solutions Architect (Associate or Professional), i.e. CSA-A or CSA-P, or equivalent
• Experience using Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipelines
• Knowledge of a software development language such a C++, Java, or Python
• Familiarity with geospatial data, geospatial processing, and/or remote sensing
• Space Vehicle to Ground and Ground to Space communication design, implementation & testing experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering