Northrop Grumman Principal Engineer Systems in Mesa, Arizona
Northrop Grumman solves the toughest problems in space, aeronautics, defense and cyberspace to meet the ever evolving needs of our customers worldwide. Our 85,000 employees are Defining Possible every day using science, technology and engineering to create and deliver advanced systems, products and services. We are committed to advancing global security and human discovery in support of our customers' missions around the world. We do so by providing leading technology and national security solutions and services to markets around the world. Northrop Grumman's Armament Systems Division based in Mesa, Arizona produces automatic medium caliber gun systems. Northrop Grumman gun systems built for the U.S. and international militaries have been used in all major conflicts since World War II in a variety of applications to include small and large ground vehicles, helicopters, airplanes and naval ships.
This Project Engineering position is for an engineering leadership role on medium caliber gun system programs within the Armament Systems Division. As part of the Systems Engineering group, the Project Engineer coordinates planning, organization, implementation, integration and completion of assigned engineering projects. This position is located in Mesa, Arizona.
The Project Engineering position carries the following set of primary responsibilities:
• Accountable to the Systems Engineering Manager and Program Managers for meeting technical performance measures, cost targets, and schedule requirements on assigned engineering projects.
• Provides technical oversight and project leadership to the assigned integrated program team; sets engineering work direction for other engineers, technicians, and administrative personnel and assigns tasks based on project objectives.
• Performs planning and execution of gun system development and testing projects, including voice of the customer techniques, requirements development and management, gun system definition, verification and validation, and risk management to design of gun systems.
• Ensures pertinent design factors such as contractual, environmental, cost, schedule, technical performance, system integration, producibility, interchangeability, and material requirements are considered during development and program execution.
• Leads failure investigations and associated corrective actions.
• Works with design, project, manufacturing and quality engineers through the development process and ensures timely flow of information among and between engineering team members.
• Coordinates with Aftermarket Services team to support fielded systems and ensures cross-functional coordination to deliver outstanding customer service.
• Supports Program Manager as a control account manager to ensure accurate schedule and cost tracking.
• Presents work products at program reviews, proposals, or other project meetings.
• Prepares and plans cost estimates and written technical proposals.
• Acts as a technical interface to external customers, and forms working relationships with representatives of external technical organizations.
• Develops technical relationships with vendors and suppliers, in coordination with subcontracts management and quality functions, to facilitate technical flow-down and understanding of requirements, testing, and process control.
• Supports manufacturing trade studies and early supplier involvement.
• Shares knowledge with other engineers.
• Supports and leads continuous improvement initiatives within the overall engineering department.
Job Category : Engineering