Northrop Grumman Junior to Mid-level Interaction Designer - TS/SCI w/poly required. in Fairfax, Virginia
Junior to Mid-level Interaction Designer - TS/SCI w/poly required.
Requisition ID: 17020797
Location(s): United States-Virginia-Fairfax
US Citizenship Required for this Position: Yes
Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
At Northrop Grumman, we take on the hard and complex problems that keep people around the world safe. These complex problems require us to think carefully about the interactions between humans and complex technical systems. Our users’ tools and data are dense and overwhelming when not intentionally designed to be accessible, clear, and usable. Our users need us to understand them, to advocate for them, and to design experiences that work well for them. So we have assembled a multi-disciplinary team of UX designers focused on finding the right problems to solve and on designing the right products and services that work well.
Our interaction designers work in a human-centered design process to define user flows through web applications, determine methods and tools that people might use to manipulate data and take action on the application, and render prototypes for validating with users. Working collaboratively with user researchers or after leading research activities yourself, you associate insights from design research with your repertoire of previously successful design decisions. And you eagerly instantiate ideas as prototypes, whether abstract concepts or representative of a possible user interface, so that you can test them with users. You stay up to date with trends in human–computer interaction, so that you are equipped to bring a positive, fresh perspective to the project.
Listening and empathizing are strengths of yours. You’ll need to listen carefully to program managers, so that you can help them see their value in great human-centered design and help them saturate their project with it. You’ll need to empathize with your software and systems engineering teammates, so that you can work well with them, embedded on their team, and help them work well with you. And, of course, listening to the users you serve, empathizing with their frustrations and barriers to their operational effectiveness and learning about their skills and knowledge and about how they could be more productive.
You quickly learn the jargon the others on the project use. You actively seek to learn the objectives behind the customers' priorities, so that you know the implications of their strategic goals on your work. You often find yourself in discussions about design thinking and feel energized when you teach and exemplify the mindsets and techniques.
You are capable of working on user research activities where you engage with customers and users to gather, distill, and share mission insights so that the software development team has a better understanding of what problems to solve. You work hand-in-hand with the software development team to construct practical interactions. You spend your time working directly on one project to grow their human-centered design practice by leading collaborative design exercises, making decisions rooted in the science behind the user experience, validating what you have learned from the users, and iterating on design artifacts. Occasionally, you will be involved outside of your primary project to help grow our business.
This requisition may be filled at a higher grade based on the qualifications listed below.
This requisition may be filled at either a level 2 or a level 3.
• BQs for an Interaction Designer 2 are a Bachelor’s degree in human–computer interaction, IxD, UX design, human factors, cognitive or behavioral science, psychology, anthropology, computer science, or similar field with two years’ experience.
• BQs for an Interaction Designer 3 are a Bachelor’s degree in human–computer interaction, IxD, UX design, human factors, cognitive or behavioral science, psychology, anthropology, computer science, or similar field with five years experience.
• Demonstrable success in executing a human-centered design process on projects.
• Demonstrable success creating and clearly communicating via abstract diagrams and models of user journeys, tasks, work, goals, application flows, information, decisions, product wireframes, service blueprints, and mockups.
• Demonstrable success illustrating an organized user interface that was derived from user research insights.
• Skill in producing design artifacts via common design, illustration, and prototyping software.
• Skill in communicating your ideas and intentions clearly in writing and orally.
• Ability to conduct user research and design exercises, such as field observations, user interviews, focus groups, design brainstorming, contextual inquiry, design studios, and card sorting.
• Ability to work well among a software development team running in an Agile Scrum environment.
• Active TS/SCI security clearance with a polygraph.
• Demonstrable success in coaching others through a design process, design methods, or specific activities like brainstorming.
• Embracing and making the most of ambiguity in project scope, direction, and definition.
• Skill in thinking strategically about projects.
• Ability to lead people in increasing their process maturity.
• Achievement of good business results due to your persuading customers, program managers, and executives to adopt the value of great human-centered design.
• Connections across the international UX design, experience strategy, human-centered design, and service design communities of practice.
• Master’s degree or higher in human–computer interaction, IxD, UX design, human factors, cognitive or behavioral science, psychology, anthropology, computer science, or similar field.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Title: Junior to Mid-level Interaction Designer - TS/SCI w/poly required.
Requisition ID: 17020797