At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman's Dulles Satellite Manufacturing Facility integrates, tests, and launches state-of-the-art geosynchronous satellites, low-Earth-orbit science and technology spacecraft, vehicles that carry cargo to the International Space Station , and a host of other on-orbit technologies. This position will be located in Dulles, VA.
• No design work; manufacturing production environment where Engineers coordinate system-level builds and empower touch-labor Technicians. Hands-on work around extremely fragile space product installations and modifications. Daily interfacing with Program managers, Functional supervisors, and other disciplines like Electrical/RF/Quality Assurance is required, so good communication skills under occasionally stressful situations is essential.
• This position is for an alignment engineer. Strong familiarity with FARO and Leica laser trackers and related equipment preferred. Ability to pre- and post-process complex alignment results, transform into engineering deliverables, and solve real-time alignment issues required. Alignment Engineers coordinate mission-critical features including thrusters, sensors, and antenna pointing vectors through challenging, as-designed vs. as-manufacturable vs. as-built phases.
• Detailed technical knowledge of 3D software Spatial Analyzer, highly sought. Ability to interface in numerous manufacturing operations including interpreting complex engineering drawings, schematics, and diagrams. Works with Design and Manufacturing Engineers to review released drawings and provides feedback to minimize design impacts on downstream manufacturability.
• 100% adherence to established ISO processes, diligence to detail, and efficient execution with quality results for cost effectiveness absolutely required. Suggests and evaluates Process Improvement ideas. Continuously strives for cost/schedule reductions at project level.
• Ability to learn quickly. Must have "a touch" for delicate equipment. Must have virtually zero defects in workmanship. Ability to run alignment operations with minimal crew and oversight in schedule-critical applications. Ability to stay calm under tense situations and handle external pressure.
• Ability to proactively identify issues, escalate to appropriate channels, and offer solutions to engineering for review. Works independently with Quality Assurance on difficult/challenging solutions and projects from Engineering.
• Ability to work with diverse team, take constructive feedback from Safety and Quality Assurance support personnel, and understudy with an assigned mentor for up to 3 months is required.
• Responsible and evaluated for performance metrics with heavy emphasis on the Product Line's overall quality of work, efficiency, and process improvements. Interfaces with other Production Line Engineers to ensure best practices across multiple product lines.
• Experience with working inside Clean Rooms, Hazardous Material Handling, Hazardous Operations protocols, and related operational protocols preferred, from 100K to 10K operations.
• Knowledge of basic 3D Modeling, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, general computer handling, and Tool Control required. ESD, FOD, and 5S management techniques strongly recommended. TipQA, Windchill, MES, Costpoint, and CREOView preferred.
• Knowledge of advanced machine shop principles helpful. Little to no machine shop work is done by Integration & Test Engineers, but interfacing with Machine Dept. required on occasion.
• Ability to foresee and communicate broader project level tasks beyond day-to-day assignments with estimates to completes. Helps plan lookaheads with projects and its leadership to avoid pitfalls . Participates in complex nonconformance resolutions.
• Helps manage tactical floor operations, including resource loading, priorities, and communication with numerous project/program teams.
• Focus for this level is schedule efficiency and unerring quality execution of the alignment process through process improvements and solutions. All operations require a "Buddy system" for checks and balances.
• Second/third shift, weekend work, and occasional short-term projects with travel required. Last minute requests are common to support the dynamic schedules seen in I&T.
• 3 Years with Bachelors in STEM field; 1 Year with Masters; 0 Years with PhD. 7 years of experience required in lieu of the degree.
• Experience with Spatial Analyzer and alignment operations required. Knowledge of trans-tracking using multiple laser trackers is highly beneficial. Strong Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) aptitude required.
• Engineering degree or equivalent experience preferred.
• Strong work ethic and ability to enforce/lead process adherence in others across various disciplines/groups .
• Experience in performing test planning, monitoring, test integration (software installs, etc.), and test execution.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Must be able to work in a technical team environment characterized by frequently changing tasks, new priorities and quick responses.
• Strong proficiency with Spatial Analyzer and understanding of multiple coordinate system transformations highly preferred, including best fit, frame to frame, and relationship fitting. Experience with Trans Tracking (using multiple laser tracker systems simultaneously) is preferred.
• Current Security Clearance not required, but ability to initiate Top Secret clearance process required.
Salary Range: $77,100 - $115,000
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.