Northrop Grumman Systems Engineer in Dulles, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
This Systems Engineering position is for an engineering support role within the Space Sector at Northrop Grumman located in Dulles, VA. The job responsibilities will be as an individual-contributor and deliverable/product lead within a multi-disciplinary engineering team. Successful candidate will perform traditional Systems Engineering functions, including requirements synthesis and flow-down, verification/validation planning, system trades study support, systems analysis, coordination of design efforts, and management of technical budgets & interface definitions. Responsibilities will also include interaction with program, functional and customer leadership.
In this role, the Systems Engineer will perform duties contributing to general mission or space vehicle systems engineering activities, which may include requirements flow down, tracking, verification, and the writing of complex specifications, interface control documents, and engineering reports from advanced studies, special engineering investigations, and similar activities. Tasks may also include harness interface design, mechanical systems support, Command & Telemetry database development, and space vehicle configuration modeling. The candidate must be knowledgeable in aerospace systems, spacecraft subsystems design, or mission operations. Advanced modeling & analyses relating to mission and technical problems may be required in support of development or mission operations teams. Position will also include responsibilities relating to integration, testing, and operational readiness of spacecraft and payloads. Candidate may be called on to assist in new business activities, such as conceptual design and analysis for proposals and funded studies, and may include authoring sections for both.
Desired experience includes Requirements Management Tools such as DOORS, Cradle, or CORE, and various analysis engineering tools, such as MATLAB, MATHCAD, and STK. Actual spacecraft operations and related ground systems expertise is always a plus. Additional experience in any of the following areas is also desired: orbital mechanics, power systems modeling, avionics or digital electronics design, telecommunications design, risk analysis, thermal design and analysis, or integration and testing (either at the spacecraft or payload level).
• Provide support to selected elements of the program Systems Engineering Team
• Support and deliver SE Products and other deliverables, with a focus on mission success
• Develop/implement and communicate solutions to routine Engineering problems
• Contribute to the technical tasks supporting the program
• Provide systems engineering support for technical reviews
• Write status and technical performance reviews, analyses and reports
This position requires a BS degree in Engineering or related technical field and at least 2 years of applicable experience, or an MS Degree and 0 years of applicable experience. Additional experience will be considered in lieu of a BS degree.
• Understanding of the Systems Engineering process
• Aptitude for understanding system and subsystem interactions
• Experience defining requirements and interfaces
• Understanding of spacecraft integration & test, launch, and mission operations
• Experience with spaceflight vehicle development including integration & test
• Experience developing verification documentation
• Experience with architecture development
• Master's degree in a technical discipline (with two years of professional experience)
• Experience in Agile methods
• Experience in Model Based Engineering
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering