Northrop Grumman Structural Engineer: Electronics Packaging - Space Systems in Dulles, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today!
Northrop Grumman Space designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
In this role you will:
- Perform thermal and structural vibration analyses of electronic hardware designs using FEA based software tools
-Determine component temperatures for a variety of environments and assess random vibration fatigue life
-Recommend electronic packaging design improvements based on the results of analysis
-Support environmental test programs
-Support project system and design teams
-Support project team meetings and reviews, with a high degree of personal and professional responsibility
-Support continuous refinement and improvement of development methodologies and processes
-Interface with Project Managers, Project Element Managers, Task Managers, and Mission Assurance Managers to develop appropriate thermal engineering requirements and plans for Space Projects
• Requires a Bachelor's degree in a STEM field (preferably Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, or Physics)
• 2+ years of experience, ideally in structural or thermal analysis and/or testing of electronic assemblies both at the board level and at the chassis level (Or Master's Degree)
• Ability to perform thermal and structural engineering tasks associated with analysis, design, and testing of electronics structures and circuit card assemblies
• A background in electronics packaging engineering
• A background in vibration, shock, and thermal testing of space based electronic assemblies
• Excellent computer skills, including and use of computer-aided engineering tools
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including being fluent using the full Microsoft Office suite of software
• The ability to work with multiple interfaces
• Experience with Creo Parametric or equivalent 3D modeling software.
• Experience with Mechanical Analysis using NX FEMAP/NASTRAN
• Experience with thermal analysis and tools such as Solaria Thermal, Ansys TAS or equivalent.
• Familiar with IPC or NASA standards for circuit card assembly and Printed Wiring Board (PWB) design and fabrication
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering