Northrop Grumman Sr./Principal FPGA/RF Engineer - Space/Satellite Systems (Top Secret) in Dulles, Virginia
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today!
We have an opening for a FPGA/RF Engineer Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals in the Tactical Space organization. This position will be located in Dulles, VA.
In Tactical Space Systems, we have an increase of FPGA work in software defined radios (SDRs). As an FPGA/RF Engineer you will design and program FPGAs to perform various applications (i.e. modems) on various programs.
This is a key position requiring 5+ years' experience in RF communications hardware/software design and development. In this role you will perform specification, design, simulation, and coding of RF communications-based digital signal processing algorithms. The position also requires significant experience with the design and proper layout of FPGA-based high speed (multi-gigabit) and high frequency (millimeter wave) mixed signal (digital, analog and RF) printed circuit boards for both ground and space applications. Experience with software defined radio design is required.
In particular you will be involved in:
•Designing FM, PM, AM, PSK and QAM, etc. modulators and demodulators including carrier recovery, where applicable
•Designing signal acquisition algorithms for TDMA, FDMA and CDMA schemes
•Designing FIR, IIR, and frequency domain matched filters
•Daily, you will work in Matlab to develop algorithms and work in HDL Coder/ Vivado/Libero to instantiate the algorithms onto FPGAs using VHDL code
• Must have U.S. Citizenship with Top Secret level clearance
• Must havea bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (or related field) with some combination of the following course work: microwave theory, satellite communications, radio-wave propagation, electromagnetics, and digital signal processing. Should possess good understanding of communications and microwave theory
• 5 years of related experience (or 3 yrs. with a Masters; or PhD)
• Experience with at least one FPGA design synthesis tool (Vivado or Libero)
• Experience with Matlab/HDL Coder
• Solid understanding of digital signal processing concepts and theory
•MSEE or PhD
•Experience with Matlab Simulink
• Experience with using test and measurement equipment, such as spectrum analyzers, power meters, etc.
• Ability to work with others from engineering and non-engineering disciplines in a fast-paced team environment
• Experience with digital modulation/demodulation schemes for high data rates
• Experience with microwave component/system measurement
• VHDL / Verilog coding experience
The Northrop Grumman Tactical Space Division is a strategic partner specializing in commercial and classified partnerships with the design, delivery, operation and sustainment of satellites and human spacecraft. We support science and space exploration through our various partnerships, including NASA's Artemis program with the goal to return humans to the Moon in 2024 and the TESS (Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite) program that has discovered more than twenty confirmed plants. Recognized as an industry leader, we also develop highly specialized space and satellite components.
Northrop Grumman offers a competitive and robust benefits program.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman, you are eligible for our robust benefits package including:
Dental & Vision coverage
Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
Paid Time Off
Health & Wellness Resources
Flexible Schedules (For example the ability to work a 9/80 work schedule, which allows an employee to work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday and take every other Friday off of work)
For more details please visit our total rewards site or chat with one of our recruiters to learn more.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering