Northrop Grumman Machinist 3 in Clearfield, Utah
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
As a Machinist in our Case Center of Excellence, you will work on and inspect next generation composite structures.
This job involves machining parts per specification by setting up and operating CNC equipment. The Machinist is responsible for: quality of the product by performing both in-process and final part inspections, care and maintenance of the equipment, assuring tooling and materials readiness, and maintaining a clean and safe work environment. This position will require the individual to provide training to others in all aspects of CNC equipment setup, operation and maintenance.
Competencies for Success:
• Strong interpersonal communication skills with ability to work with others at all levels of the organization
• Proven track record training mid to upper skill level machine operators
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to prioritize
• Excellent time management skills
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced, diverse environment
• Initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence
• High energy, results oriented, self-motivated / self-reliant, team player
Sets up and operates a variety of machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, planers, and precision grinders to make metal parts, mechanisms, tools, or machines to exacting tolerances and dimensions. Interprets blueprints, sketches, and engineering specifications; determines sequence of operations, number of cuts required, and method of setup; uses a variety of machinist hand tools and precision measuring instruments; makes standard shop computations relating to dimensions of work, tooling, feeds, and speeds; measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points to lay out stock for machining; fits and assembles precision parts into mechanical equipment and determines material, parts, and equipment required. Some machines may be numerically controlled. May monitor and verify quality in accordance with statistical process or other control procedures. Typically requires completion of a formal apprenticeship or equivalent training and experience.
Technical Certification preferred. Will consider High School Diploma or equivalent GED (education will be verified)
Candidate must have 4+ years CNC 3 - 5-axis machining experience .
• Must have extensive experience running manual machines and performing set-ups.
• Experience with Fanuc Controller preferred
• Ability to read and interpret production specifications, production diagrams, assembly drawings, and technical specifications (English)
• Ability to read and interpret blue prints
• Expert in GD & T
• Experience in following written set-up instructions and /or performing unique set-ups
• Demonstrated ability to resolve unforeseen, unique issues as they arise in machining a part(s)
• Experience in complex measurements and advanced shop math calculations relative to tolerances, dimensions, tooling, and feeds and speeds
• Ability to understand and work with knowledge of Lean manufacturing principles and disciplines
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Manufacturing and Production