Northrop Grumman Staff Optical Architecture Systems Engineer in Azusa, California
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems, Military and Civil Space Systems Sector is looking for an experienced Optical Architecture Engineer (Level 5) with architecture, procurement, assembly, integration, alignment, and test experience in developing and building space qualified optical systems. This person will be supporting new business development efforts, system design concepts and trades, as well as supporting the existing SBIRS program. The candidate will be working out of our Azusa, CA location.
The candidate will join the Mission/Payload Systems Design group and will be responsible for developing optical architecture for potential future space optical payloads from ultra-violet through very long wavelength infrared application. In addition the candidate will be responsible for supporting the SBIRS program in a number of different roles such as payload integration and alignment, optical telescope assembly procurement, and test facility maintenance; which includes calibrations, checkout, as well as trade studies to develop recommended test configurations to meet new requirements or business objectives.
The candidate will need to model the optical design and performance using CodeV or Zemax; assess and mitigate stray light effects using TracePro, Apart, or ASAP; have a good understanding of Fourier/diffraction optics, optical materials and technologies, laser physics, radiometry and focal plane technologies; understand of opto-mechanics, optical thermal effects, and coatings; and have working experience in alignment and tolerancing, fabrication, assembly and integration, cleaning, testing of optical elements and optical systems, and procurement of optical systems. Serve as mentor to junior engineers; self-motivated with ability to work in a team.
· Bachelor's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) field & 14 years of related technical engineering experience, OR a Master's Degree in a STEM field & 12 years of related technical engineering experience
· Experience using optical design tools; CodeV and/or Zemax; stray light analysis tools: Apart, TracePro, and/or ASAP; MATLAB
· Demonstrated experience in developing, building, testing, and fielding space based optical systems
· Ability to obtain & maintain a DoD secret clearance (US Citizenship Required)
· MS Degree or PhD in optical sciences
· Current & active DoD security clearance
· Programming experience with C++ & Python
· Payload systems engineer experience
· 20+ years of technical engineering experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering