Northrop Grumman Principal Signals Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, Maryland
At the heart of Defining Possible is our commitment to missions. In rapidly changing global security environments, Northrop Grumman brings informed insights and software-secure technology to enable strategic planning. We're looking for innovators who can help us keep building on our wide portfolio of secure, affordable, integrated, and multi-domain systems and technologies that fuel those missions. By joining in our shared mission, we'll support yours of expanding your personal network and developing skills, whether you are new to the field or an industry thought-leader. At Northrop Grumman, you'll have the resources, support, and team to do some of the best work of your career.
Are you making an impact? Are you supporting a mission that saves lives? Protects our most prized assets responsible for our National Security? That protects our FREEDOM? We at Northrop Grumman are building on our long standing heritage in the area of foundational intelligence across the entire enterprise. We work side by side with our customers solving highly complex problems that you'll not find anywhere else in the world. We make investments in cutting edge technologies and are industry leaders in world class research and development as we partner with the government to build next generation capabilities that shape the future of TechSIGINT Revitalization. Will you join us as we relentlessly pursue impacting the greatest mission on earth: Protecting our FREEDOM!
The Signals Software Engineer (SSWE) develops, maintains, and enhances signal processing software (e.g. detectors, demodulators, protocol processors). Works individually or as part of a team. Reviews and tests software components for adherence to the design requirements and documents test results. Resolves software problem reports. Utilizes software development and software design methodologies appropriate to the development environment. Provides specific input to the software components of system design to include hardware/software trade-offs, software reuse, use of Commercial Off-the-shelf (COTS)/Government Off-the-shelf (GOTS) in place of new development, and requirements analysis and synthesis from system level to individual software components. This position is located in Annapolis Junction, MD.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements
• Design and code new software or modify existing software to add new features
• Debug existing software and correct defects
• Describe various signal processing techniques
• Identify various digital modulation techniques
• Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments
• Provide recommendations for improving documentation and software development process standards
• Develop/implement algorithms to meet system performance and functional standards
• Assist with developing and executing test procedures for software components
• Write/review software and system documentation
• Develop software solutions, confer with users or system engineers
• Analyze systems flow, data usage and work processes
• Investigate problem areas
• Serve as team lead at the level appropriate to the software development process being used on any particular project
• Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance
• Design, develop and modify software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design
• Use signal processing algorithms to convert a signals
• Design signal processing software based on sparse documentation
• Lead one or more software development teams and ensure the work is completed in accordance with the constraints of the software development process being used on any particular project
• Design/ implement complex signal processing algorithms requiring adherence to strict timing,
• system resource, or interface constraints
• Perform quality control on products
• Write software using C++, Java; suggest languages as needed to solve problems
• Advanced understanding of the Linux operating system
• Confer with system engineers and software engineers to derive software requirements and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces
• Develop and maintain software framework to enable efficient processing of data
• Identify the source of problems in an a Radio Frequency (RF) processing system and associated systems in an enterprise architecture
• Implement recommendations for improving documentation and software development process standards
Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required. At least seven (7) years' experience as a SSWE or equivalent on a project with a focus on Radio Frequency (RF) to include experience with Fourier transforms, filtering, communications theory, digital modulation, error control coding, signals analysis tools (e.g. WVT, DVT), and digital signal processing (e.g. adaptive beamforming/ filtering, demodulation). Four (4) years of additional SSWE or equivalent experience on projects with similar software processes may be substituted for a bachelor's degree.
• Writing software using C++, Java
• Advanced understanding of the Linux operating system
Security Requirements: TS/SCI w/Polygraph clearance required
• Software defined radio architectures (e.g. SCA, REDHAWK, or GNU), commercial wireless standards
• Geolocation techniques
• Software configuration management tools (e.g. GIT, Clearquest, Trac, or Subversion)
• Eclipse IDE
• Google Protocol Buffer
• Model-based design (e.g. Matlab, SIMULINK)
• Service oriented architecture
• Linux OS.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Information Technology